05 May 2006

My amazing sisters

I have friends who can't stand their siblings. I have friends who love their siblings, but just can't figure out how to get along with them. I have friends who don't talk to their siblings.

My sisters (or sistahs, as I like to call them, because I was "raised on the streets" and thus am fluent in "street talk") are the coolest people I have ever met. Seriously. They are SO hilarious, incredibly clever, wise beyond their years, silly in the most wonderful way, friendly and respectful... I could go on and on. They are just AWESOME!!

I'm really excited because this weekend we are going to have a sistah day. This means that we (the three sibs and I) are going to hang out in Peoria, IL, probably have lunch and a beer or wine or something, then go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and read magazines/ look at books without talking to each other. And we'll harass each other and joke around about our family and harass each other and laugh. It will be freakin' great.

Whenever I talk to my sisters or hang out with them, I think about them for the next couple of days and smile and laugh when I remember their hilarity. And I try to relate their cleverness to Dennis so that the next couple days end up being full of phrases like, "And then Marissa..." "And Kali said..." "Lil was ..." These stories usually end up with me saying, "I guess you had to be there." And Dennis agreeing, though very politely.

When we live on our commune north of Eureka, we'll probably test the strength of these bonds, but I'm guessing we'll be ok. I just hope, should Dennis and I be blessed with more children, that we can replicate the closeness I have with them among our own children.

I love my sisters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you too Ape! I was just walking along and thinking about how much I am looking forward to hanging out together!

Great Blog - maybe I will get one too!

Love - roo.

Anonymous said...

You were raised on the streets? what?

April said...

Yo, wicks!
Yes, I was raised on Henry Street, Eureka, IL. Marissa (Roo) and I lived there 'til I was 11. Lil and Kalin mostly grew up on the farm, hence they didn't have the "street" experience that Roo and I had. We ran around the "'hood" and played with people who lived near our home aka "da homies".
The hilarity in this is that Eureka is a beautiful little quiet town of 4000 in the middle of the cornfields of central Illinois. No gang activity whatsoever, especially not 20 years ago. But my "street knowledge" is used to impart practical wisdom to my younger sisters. And it's a desperate attempt to be a lot cooler than I actually am.
I also have to translate my ""street talk" a lot. ie. I'm outta here ("street" for "out of here").
Probably you have to be there:)