09 May 2006

Recipe: Chocolate zucchini cake attempt #2

I found a blog last week called Whole Wheat Cookbook. I think the guy just finds whole wheat recipes online and then posts them to his blog. But on the blog, there is a recipe for Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Cake.

Well, I tried it and it was ok. But my friend, Patrice, makes THE best zucchini bread in the whole world and I was hoping that this cake would taste like a chocolate whole wheat version of her bread. Not so. In my opinion, zucchini bread is best when you can press on it and oil beads on the surface. Yeah. I like it a little moist and frankly, the Whole Wheat guy's recipe was a little too dry for me.

So, I tried my version -- a marriage of Patrice's amazing zucchini bread recipe and the guy at the Whole Wheat cookbook blog's cake recipe today.

Miraculous, Marvelous, and Versatile Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour


Mix and cover -- it will be very thick! Let sit at room temperature for 8-24 hours.



In large bowl cream together:
4 medium eggs (3 large)
1 cup rapadura or sucanat
1/2 cup olive oil (or 1/4 olive oil and 1/4 cup applesauce)
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup grated apple or applesauce




Add
3 cups raw finely shredded zucchini w/rind (or you can use yellow squash, carrots or apple, though clearly that would change the title of this masterpiece!) I think the finely shredded/ grated thing is key to the amount of moisture in the cake. You want this to be very moist!




Sprinkle the following evenly over the flour/yogurt mix:
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
4 T cocoa




Mix and then add to creamed mix. Mix well for about 2 minutes. Pour into well-greased and floured cake pan, muffin tins, etc.


Sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips, if desired (highly recommended by this choco-nut!).



Bake at 325 for about 50 minutes, if using 9 x 13 pan. Try hard not to overcook. This will make a very, very moist cake. Can be frosted with cream cheese frosting if not using chocolate chips!

No comments: