01 April 2008

April Veriditas

I had a professor in seminary who, in addition to being brilliant and articulate, was also one of the kindest persons I ever met. She was a true gift to all of those who studied under her.
When I met her, she had just finished writing a book on the mystics and was awash with all sorts of wonderful imagery. One day in class, she mentioned Hildegard von Bingen's concept of veriditas, the "greening of the soul," in which the soul become lush, fertile, verdant, and welcoming to the seed of God's grace planted therein.
I have been thinking about this month of April and have decided that, as the Earth greens and the blogosphere begins teeming with posts on how to be more ecologically responsible or fashionably "Green", that I would take the opportunity to do some spiritual greening. I've got some changes to make if I want to experience some significant spiritual blossoming, and this seems to be the perfect time to prepare the soil of my heart.

Anyone else needing some spiritual gardening?

No comments: