23 November 2008

Sunday Dinner II

Today, we hosted Sunday dinner again. Dennis got a ham from work for the holidays and rather than freezing it to use later, we decided to cook it up. So we had a nice dinner of spinach bisque, ham, scalloped potatoes, and buttermilk rolls provided by me, with jello and green salad provided by Mom and green beans with bacon provided by Lil. I also made pineapple upside down cake with whipped cream for dessert. We were all full. And now we have a refrigerator full of food going into this Thanksgiving week. I guess we don't have to worry about dinners and lunches for a few days.


I wanted to share two interesting recipes I ended up using. The first is for Refrigerator Buttermilk Rolls. The interesting part is that the dough can supposedly be made up ahead of time and then stuck in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. I even ran out of buttermilk and used the ol' milk-with-vinegar trick and it worked well, which makes this a keeper recipe, for me. The rolls, which I made in regular round shape, were very soft and light and tasty and delicious, especially with a bit of the homemade butter Lil provided. They'd be great hamburger buns, I think. I will try them with whole wheat next time. I thought someone may enjoy the recipe for Thanksgiving. It's always nice to find things that can be made ahead.


The other recipe worth sharing, in my mind, was for the spinach bisque. It was very good and really, could be a meal all on its own. I made it because the ham ended up being small and I was worried we wouldn't have enough. We did have plenty, of course, but this bisque was probably my favorite part of the meal. I combined a couple of recipes to come up with this one. I think it would also taste delicious with a little tobasco or a tablespoon of dijon mustard added for a little bit more bite. It can be diluted with more chicken broth to make it stretch, or one could add even more spinach. It's very rich. Just pretend like it doesn't have any calories and enjoy. :)

Spinach Bisque
1 med onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced finely
2 T butter
1/4-1/2 cup white wine (can be omitted)
2 boxes of spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 pkgs cream cheese, softened and cut into smaller pieces
1 1/2 c. half and half
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
pepper to taste
Sautee onion and garlic in butter until transluscent. Deglaze pan with wine. Add spinach and cream cheese. Allow cheese to melt slightly. Add half and half slowly, stirring to make the mixture quite smooth. When cream cheese is entirely melted, add the chicken broth. Stir to make smooth again. Add cheddar cheese in batches, stirring until smooth. When cheddar is melted, add parmesan. Stir well. Season to taste. Heat through, but do not allow it to fully boil. Best when very warm.

1 comment:

j said...

In my next lifetime, I'm going to come back as one of your sisters, and come to these fabulous Sunday dinners!

Also, you are a crochet rockstar, and I'm so glad you're having a little girl! Beautiful name...

Now, I've caught up on blog commenting!